Tel. (direct): +322 663 28 70
Fax : +322 663 28 01
Tel. (switch): +32 2 663 28 00
Experience and fields of specialization
Louis Puts heads LMBD’s Intellectual Property team. Described as a “talented litigator” (LMG Life Sciences) and a leading individual (Legal 500), Louis has gained an in-depth knowledge in the litigation and enforcement of intellectual property rights, border measures, protection of trade secrets, unfair competition, licensing and software disputes. He is a member of the Belgian Association of AIPPI. He has successfully represented a US manufacturer of in vitro devices before the Constitutional Court regarding the discriminatory treatment of trademark owners being excluded by the Belgian legislation from the “saisie-contrefaçon” proceedings. He has successfully represented clients before the European Court of Justice with respect to the free movement of goods and the Benelux Court of Justice with respect to the presumption of ownership of copyright and design rights.
- represents clients with respect to border measures under the EU counterfeit and piracy regulations that are active in sectors such as clothing, pharmaceutical, food and beverages, entertainment;
- represents clients in various types of litigation (infringement, validity), in particular with respect to patents, trademarks, designs, copyright, trade secrets and computer programs
- advises with respect to licensing, intellectual property co-ownership, research and development;
- advises and represents clients with respect to distribution issues and franchising;
- assists clients with respect to IT contract.
Since September 1, 2014: partner at LMBD Prioux, Brussels
2005-2014: partner at DLA Piper LLP, Brussels Office, head of Belgian IPT department
1994-2005: partner at Coppens van Ommeslaghe & Faurès, Brussels
1987-1994 : associate at Coppens Horsmans Malherbe, Brussels
Louis received his J.D. (« Licence en droit »), cum laude, from the Catholic University of Leuven – 1984. He holds a master (cum laude) in economic law (“License spéciale en droit économique” from the University of Brussels – 1986. He hold a bachelor in Economics from the Catholic University of Leuven – 1983. He holds a master in Teaching at High Schools from the Catholic University of Leuven – 1985.
Dutch, French and English.
Seminars and Publications
Louis has given several seminars on intellectual property issues and authored and co-authored several publications in this field.